36 C
New Delhi
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Buy now

spot_img

Colombia Takes U-Turn On US Deportation Flights Amid Tariffs War, Says ‘We Accept All Trump’s Terms’

In a U-turn within hours of Donald Trump threatening to impose sanctions, Colombia succumbed to the tariff war and agreed to accept “all terms” of the US President for the deportation of immigrants from the South American country, the White House said.

“The Government of Colombia has agreed to all of President Trump’s terms, including the unrestricted acceptance of all illegal aliens from Colombia returned from the United States, including on US military aircraft, without limitation or delay,” The White House Press Secretary statement said on Sunday (local time).US Pauses Sanctions On Colombia After Agreement

With this U-turn, the sanction announced by the US President “will be held in reserve” unless the South American country “fails to honour” the agreement.

“Based on this agreement, the fully drafted IEEPA tariffs and sanctions will be held in reserve, and not signed, unless Colombia fails to honor this agreement,” the White House said.The visa sanctions announced by Trump on the Colombian government officials and their “supporters”, however, will “remain in effect”.

“The visa sanctions issued by the State Department, and enhanced inspections from Customs and Border Protection, will remain in effect until the first planeload of Colombian deportees is successfully returned,” the statement said.

What Triggered Trade War Between US And Colombia?

Trump on Sunday announced the imposition of a 25% tariff on all Colombian goods, which would have risen to as high as 50% in a week after the latter refused to allow two military flights of the US, deporting the illegal immigrants, to land. Historically, Colombia has been one of the closest allies of the US in Latin America and enjoys a free-trade agreement.

However, the standoff over the deportation of illegal Colombian immigrants into the US back to Colombia led to a trade war between the two nations, leading to sanctions on the latter. The sanctions have, however, been put on hold.

“Emergency 25% tariffs on all goods coming into the United States. In one week, the 25% tariffs will be raised to 50%. A Travel Ban and immediate Visa Revocations on the Colombian Government Officials, and all Allies and Supporters. Visa Sanctions on all Party Members, Family Members, and Supporters of the Colombian Government. Enhanced Customs and Border Protection Inspections of all Colombian Nationals and Cargo on national security grounds. IEEPA Treasury, Banking and Financial Sanctions to be fully imposed,” Trump had announced in a long post on Truth Social earlier in the day.

The White House underlined that the U-turn by Colombia, which in turn imposed a 25% goods on the US products, triggering tariff war between the two countries, “make it clear that America is respected again”.

“President Trump will continue to fiercely protect our nation’s sovereignty and he expects all other nations of the world to fully cooperate in accepting the deportation of their citizens illegally present in the United States,” the White House said.

‘You Will Never Dominate Us’: Colombian President

Before being defeated by Trump’s pressure, Colombian President Gustavo Petro said that he had instructed his minister for external trade “to raise tariffs on imports from the US to 25%”.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles