33 C
New Delhi
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Buy now

spot_img

US Claims Iran Hostilities Ended Following Ceasefire Arrangement

The US administration says the conflict with Iran has effectively ended under a ceasefire, a position that could allow it to avoid seeking congressional authorisation under the War Powers Resolution. The US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told senators the ceasefire paused the war, while a senior administration official said hostilities that began February 28 had ended and no fire had been exchanged since the April 7 truce.

The 1973 law requires congressional approval or withdrawal after 60 days of military action. The administration argues the clock is paused during a ceasefire and has until Friday to comply or extend the deadline.

Iran continues to control the Strait of Hormuz, while the U.S. maintains a naval blockade on Iranian oil shipments. Democrats and some Republicans have pressed for congressional approval, saying continued military action requires legislative authorisation and clear objectives.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles